Role - Part-time
Working hours - minimum 14 hours per week / 2 days Tuesdays - Fridays
Salary - £1,036 per month / £18.50 per hour
Contract - Part-time
Location - West Yorkshire
Start date: February 2023
An exciting opportunity to join a small business at a pivotal point of growth! Are you someone who wants to change children's education for the better? Do you understand how children learn best? Do you recognise the impact the outdoors can have on children's learning and development? You might just be the person we are looking for!
Alfresco Learning currently consists of the two Co-Founders, Hollie Hindle & Jenny Wood. We created Alfresco Learning when we left the classroom to spread awareness around the benefits of outdoor learning and our success means we are now looking for someone to join us! We are looking for someone to help expand our child experience workshops to help even more children to benefit from them. We are also hoping that this person will want to take a leading role as the company grows, so this is a very exciting opportunity to be offering!
Our outdoor education officer will deliver Alfresco Learning’s signature outdoor workshops to KS1 children at schools within West Yorkshire & Northern Manchester.
This will involve:
- Providing a memorable learning experience to the highest standard at every school visited.
- Generating smiles through activities with natural materials to cover National Curriculum objectives.
- The opportunity to visit schools within West Yorkshire & Northern Manchester.
- Organising, moving and transporting resources around school grounds (boosting your daily step count!).
- Working with a range of children from varying backgrounds and providing them with a brand new way to learn.
- Delivering our well known workshops, which are guaranteed to leave teachers inspired.
- Managing the safety of all participants within the workshop.
- Building rapport with teaching staff and identifying opportunities to support them further with outdoor learning.
- Monitoring and responding to weather conditions both during and prior to workshops.
- Lighting up teachers' email inboxes after the workshops with a follow up thank you email and receiving a rave review in response.
There will also be an opportunity to collaboratively develop and deliver KS2 workshops as we expand our offerings to schools - this will be your opportunity to get creative and shape our offerings!
During term time you will have the opportunity to fulfil Alfresco Learning workshops with eager and excited children. During school holidays and quieter periods of the year, you will collaborate with us to support the development of our Planning Hub! After a settling in period we will be open to negotiating these days to be taken flexibly/working from home.
This will involve:
- Working collaboratively to develop new creative units of planning across a range of year groups and subjects covering National Curriculum objectives.
- Writing and editing our one of a kind lesson plans.
- Carrying out market research to identify topics our members would like to see inside the Hub.
- Pension scheme.
- All of the workshop resources - organised and ready to go!
- Alfresco Learning branded tops, lanyard and fleece to wear whilst delivering workshops
- A budget for essential, winter clothing to keep you comfortable in cold weather!
- A chance to become an integral part of a growing company and make positive changes to the education sector.
- A wealth of professional development opportunities.
- As the company grows any new opportunities that arise will be offered to you first, for example these could include our plans to expand our Planning Hub content to cover Early Years, an opportunity to support our marketing or deliver staff training! Our hope is to welcome someone in who will want to contribute to Alfresco Learning as it grows!
- A small, friendly team who cannot wait to welcome you in!
Holidays: as our workshops cover a range of areas and term times vary you will be given 12 days holiday allowance. 50% of this will be taken during August and the other 50% you will be welcome to request throughout the year. As this role is just 2 days a week, this equates to 6 weeks holiday per year!
If you’ve got the right passion and personality we will offer you all the training you need to be the best you can be.
- A friendly, professional manner and a positive attitude - an ability to make excellent first impressions to schools.
- Excellent organisational skills and time management.
- The ability to think on your feet - outdoor conditions can change quickly as can class needs!
- Clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Qualified teacher status and a minimum of 2 years teaching experience using the National Curriculum for England.
- A Full UK Driving Licence and access to a car with valid MOT and business insurance.
- An understanding of what curriculum outdoor learning is.
- Some experience of taking learning outdoors with children - don't worry if this is not lots, we can provide plenty! We just want to know that you have experienced outdoor learning with a class.
- Some confidence with IT skills (we will provide training for our systems on email, video calls, Trello and Google drive).
- Bags of creativity to apply to lesson plans and other offering our customers will love.
- A personal love of the natural world - essential to get you through those drizzly days!
- To be reflective in your own practice and always striving for the best.
How to apply
Please download the application form and send completed applications along with your CV to email@example.com with the subject Outdoor Education Officer
Applications close 12pm on Sunday 15th January 2023. Applications received after this time will not be considered. Shortlisting takes place on Tuesday 17th January 2023 - successful applicants will hear by the end of Wednesday 18th January 2023. Due to the volume of applications we will be unable to contact unsuccessful applicants individually, but please contact us for feedback if you would like it.
Interviews to take place on Friday 27th January 2023 in Wakefield. You will have a planning task to complete prior to attending the interview, this will be sent via email.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. All successful applicants will undertake employment reference checks and an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check. Please note this role is exempt from the REHABILITATION OF OFFENDERS ACT 1974 and the amendments to the EXCEPTIONS ORDER.